[libc-dev] mlibc - an existing libc with similar goals to LLVM libc

Geert Custers via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 29 23:13:22 PST 2021

Dear,

My name is Geert Custers, a core contributor to mlibc. mlibc is a fully
portable C library, written in C++. The library has a design focus on
portability and modularity, it is as platform agnostic as it can be. We
have a Linux port as well as many other hobby OS ports. Hobby OS's are
not the primary motivation for mlibc, but the ports serve as a
compelling demonstration of the portability and modularity of mlibc.
While learning about the LLVM libc project, it occured to us that the
goals of mlibc and LLVM libc are almost exactly aligned.

Given our common interests, it seems beneficial for both mlibc and
LLVM libc to possibly collaborate. As we speak, mlibc has a variety of
POSIX/Linux/ANSI features implemented, and we are able to run a large
collection of Linux/POSIX programs, such as XOrg, Weston, GCC, Clang,
GNU Bash, GTK2 and 3 and many more. We accomplish all this while still
remaining fully portable, assuming very little about the host syscall
interface. Some notable features include a dynamic linker, and an
incomplete, but extensive pthread library. However we are still missing
many things, such as for example an implementation of POSIX regex.

We would be very interested to hear your thoughts on a possible
collaboration.

With kind regards,
Geert Custers and the rest of The Managarm Project.