[libc-dev] __builtin_* vs llvm-libc provided ones?

Ebrahim Byagowi via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 2 12:03:40 PST 2021

Thank you so much.

With your explanation now I understand builtins propose better now I think, I
was also wrong about __builtin_memcpy_inline as it isn't as flexible as
a real libc memcpy and needs its third argument to be a constant, "error:
argument to '__builtin_memcpy_inline' must be a constant int…" (which I
wished it wasn't the case but is understandable why it is) and now I
see __builtin_memcpy
is also a proxy to libc memcpy which I guess is there just to make compiler
code analysis easier.

Now given that, not as a macro but is it possible to use the builtins
inside llvm-libc implementation maybe so llvm-libc won't have to implement
them again? I mean do you see it possible for llvm-libc to get its
implementation shared with compiler one somehow behind the scene? Maybe
through some directory inside somewhere that the both compiler and
llvm-libc can share their implementations of those?

The reason I'm asking is because of a hope I have to see compiler builtins
some day to be more capable, which I understand I shouldn't be that hopeful
about it, but I think the questions can be thought about regardless.

Thanks!