[libc-dev] mlibc - an existing libc with similar goals to LLVM libc

Siva Chandra via libc-dev libc-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 6 15:17:46 PST 2021

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Geert Custers via libc-dev <
libc-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> My name is Geert Custers, a core contributor to mlibc. mlibc is a fully
> portable C library, written in C++. The library has a design focus on
> portability and modularity, it is as platform agnostic as it can be. We
> have a Linux port as well as many other hobby OS ports. Hobby OS's are
> not the primary motivation for mlibc, but the ports serve as a
> compelling demonstration of the portability and modularity of mlibc.
> While learning about the LLVM libc project, it occured to us that the
> goals of mlibc and LLVM libc are almost exactly aligned.
>
> Given our common interests, it seems beneficial for both mlibc and
> LLVM libc to possibly collaborate. As we speak, mlibc has a variety of
> POSIX/Linux/ANSI features implemented, and we are able to run a large
> collection of Linux/POSIX programs, such as XOrg, Weston, GCC, Clang,
> GNU Bash, GTK2 and 3 and many more. We accomplish all this while still
> remaining fully portable, assuming very little about the host syscall
> interface. Some notable features include a dynamic linker, and an
> incomplete, but extensive pthread library. However we are still missing
> many things, such as for example an implementation of POSIX regex.
>
> We would be very interested to hear your thoughts on a possible
> collaboration.

tl;dr - The development LLVM libc is under the LLVM umbrella in the open.
That makes LLVM libc also open for collaboration by default :)

That said, it will help if you can elaborate more about what you mean by
"collaboration". LLVM libc is in early stages. However, few downstream
users have already started using the parts available in production. Our
focus areas for the near future are the pthread library, stdio and
finishing the math library.

With kind regards,