[flang-dev] Flang driver - next steps

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 29 08:05:39 PDT 2021

Hello,

[Flang == "LLVM Flang"]

Until recently we were focusing on replacing `f18` (the old driver) with
`flang-new`, the new driver. This was completed in [1]. The natural next
step is to add support for code-generation and linking phases. Although
we have been discussing most of this in our community calls, not
everyone has been able to attend them. Here's a quick overview and some
open questions.

# *Code generation*
This will almost entirely be implemented inside the frontend driver
(i.e. llvm-project/flang). It will support the following stages:
   1. ParseTree --> MLIR
   2. MLIR --> LLVM IR
   3. LLVM IR --> assembly/object code
This might be better expressed in terms of compiler options. Basically,
we plan to add the following options to the frontend driver:
   * -emit-mlir (ParseTree --> MLIR)
   * -emit-llvm (ParseTree --> MLIR --> LLVM IR)
   * -emit-obj (ParseTree --> MLIR LLVM IR --> object code)
   * -S (ParseTree --> MLIR --> LLVM IR --> assembly)
   * -save-temps/-save-temps=<value>
   * --target=<value>
   * -print-target-triple
   * -print-targets
Do you see any key code-generation related options missing here? We
would like to keep this list short and focus on the bare minimum that
will best inform the design. Note that adding these options will lead to
some duplication in implementation _and_ functionality between
`flang-new -fc1` and `bbc`/`tco`. We will need to make sure that these
tools stay in sync and that the level of testing for all is similar.

This work has already started and a patch implementing `-emit-mlir` is
currently under review [2]. Note that we are only able to work on the
above in the `fir-dev` branch of f18-llvm-project [3].

# *Linking*
This phase will be managed by `clangDriver`, so it will likely require
some changes there. Compared to Clang, we do have one additional
intermediate representation to support (MLIR). We may want to/need to
make `clangDriver` aware of it. Otherwise, do you see anything that we
might be missing here? Or any specific options that may require extra
work within LLVM Flang?

We have not started working on this yet. Instead, we have been just
using `clang` manually to drive the linking.

# *Implementation details*
Quite a few of us have been using glue scripts to achieve end-to-end
workflow (i.e. Fortran source --> executable). We want to focus on
supporting this workflow in `flang-new` as soon as we can. We will try
to achieve this without major design changes and that's why we want to
focus on the bare minimum of options required here.

However, we probably want to introduce `ParseTreeConsumer` and
`FIRConsumer` (or something similar) at some point. These abstraction
layers would be similar to `ASTConsumer` in Clang and would allow a
cleaner separation between the driver and various consumers of the
intermediate representations in LLVM Flang. This could be a good time to
introduce them, but it's an "implementation detail" that we can
refine/revisit later.

# *Bash script*
Once `flang-new` is capable of generating executables, shall we rename
it as `flang` and then rename the `flang` [4] bash script as e.g.
`flang-to-gfortran` (or something similar)?

Thank you for reading,
Andrzej

[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D105811
[2] https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project/pull/1008