[flang-dev] [EXTERNAL] [LLVM Flang] Code gen option: `-emit-fir` vs `-emit-mlir`

Perry-Holby, Alexis via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 9 09:13:08 PDT 2021

Interesting, I did not know that.  In light of this new information, perhaps -emit-mlir does fit better.

-- Alexis

From: Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 10:01 AM
To: "Perry-Holby, Alexis" <aperry at lanl.gov>
Cc: Andrzej Warzynski <andrzej.warzynski at arm.com>, via flang-dev <flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>
Subject: Re: [flang-dev] [EXTERNAL] [LLVM Flang] Code gen option: `-emit-fir` vs `-emit-mlir`

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:22 AM Perry-Holby, Alexis via flang-dev <flang-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
Hi Andrzej,

For my two cents, I have a mild preference for -emit-fir.  When I see -emit-mlir I think it implies that only the standard dialect will be present (i.e. no fir in there).

FYI: the standard dialect is shrinking and the goal is for it to disappear entirely.

  That could just be me though.  Like I said, mine is a mild preference and switching wouldn't cause me much issue.

-- Alexis

On 9/9/21, 8:03 AM, "flang-dev on behalf of Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev" <flang-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org<mailto:flang-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> on behalf of flang-dev at lists.llvm.org<mailto:flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

    Hello,

    We have recently started working on adding code-gen support in the Flang
    driver. Our first PR is available on GitHub [1] and implements the
    "parse tree --> MLIR" step.

    What should be the corresponding option in `flang-new`? `bbc` uses
    `-emit-fir` [2], but `-emit-mlir` would probably be more accurate.
    Indeed, currently the generated output uses multiple MLIR dialects
    (rather than just FIR).

    Please comment either here or on GitHub.

    Thank you,
    -Andrzej

    [1] https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18-llvm-project/pull/1008
    [2]