[flang-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Deprecate email code reviews in favor of Phabricator

Christian Kühnel via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 4 01:15:57 PDT 2021

Hi Philip,

> In my view, this email is really too different topics.  Given that, my
> response is split into two parts.

IMHO they belong together: If we stop doing code reviews on the mailing
list, folks would lose the ability to reply to reviews via email. If we
want to give back the reply-via-email option, getting the emails from
Phabricator is the best option I know.

First, should we make phabricator our default for code review?  I am not
> opposed to this.  I don't particular support it either, but I would not
> spend time arguing against it.  I would suggest that we re-frame the
> proposal to distinguish precommit and post commit review - with only the
> former moving to phabricator.  I have not seen post-commit done
> successfully on phabricator to date in any wide spread manner.

Why would you make that distinction? You can comment on any commit via
Phabricator. Last week I received some feedback and that worked as
expected:
https://reviews.llvm.org/rG7f9717b922d421c30f889034488563c67076aca1

If we would use the notifications directly from Phabricator you could reply
to these commits as you do now and they get integrated into Phabricator
again. This was the my main reason for proposing this.

> Second, should we consider retiring llvm-commits and the other mailing
> lists?  My gut response is a flat out NO!!!!  What we have works.

Well it works for the notification parts, but not for replying via email.

With the argument "What we have works." you can basically stop any
development on all of LLVM. I don't think this is what we want. I suppose
we want to make changes that cause gradual improvements over time. On our
code base but also on our development processes.

> I am highly reluctant to run the risk of breaking our existing processes

Can you give some examples of these processes?

I am currently aware of 2 use cases and I think we can properly implement
both via Phabricator emails:
   1. notify users about code reviews and commits
   2. reply to reviews and commits via email

> I strongly suspect that if you try to change that, you will either simply
> drive out post commit review discussion (bad idea!) or discussions will
> move to private email exchanges (bad idea!).

Why do you think that?
Users need to sign up once for the projects in Phabricator and then
everything works as before. You just get your emails directly and not via a
mailing list...

Best,
Christian