[flang-dev] [EXTERNAL] Flang Biweekly Sync - Notes from the March 17, 2021 call

Perry-Holby, Alexis via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 17 09:41:49 PDT 2021

Flang team,

Here are the notes from the March 17, 2021 Flang Community biweekly call.

We will be switching over to using a Google Doc for keeping record of the notes for future meetings, available here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10T-S2J3GrahpG4Ooif93NSTz2zBW0MQc_RlwHi0-afY/edit?usp=sharing>.  If you have trouble accessing the document, please email me (aperry at lanl.gov<mailto:aperry at lanl.gov>) and I will add your email to the access list.

Also, let me know if you have any topics you would like to see covered in the next call.

Upcoming calls (all times Pacific time unless otherwise specified):
Call

When

LLVM Flang Technical Community call

Monday, March 22, at 8:30 AM

LLVM Alias Analysis call

Tuesday, March 23, at 10:00 AM

Classic Flang biweekly call

Wednesday, March 24, at 8:00 AM

Weekly OpenMP developer call

Thursday, March 18, at 8:00 AM

Flang biweekly call (this call)

Wednesday, March 31, at 8:30 AM

New Driver Technical biweekly call

Monday, March 29, at 4:30 PM UK time

Information for joining these calls and the Flang Slack workspace can be found at http://flang.llvm.org/docs/GettingInvolved.html.

Thank you,
-- Alexis

 Agenda:

  *   ECP Annual Meeting coming up: registration deadline March 22
     *   LLVM in ECP breakout – April 14 (Wednesday), 10:00am – 12:30 pm EDT
  *   LLVM Flang Technical Call agenda
  *   LLVM Flang development updates
     *   Fir-dev merge status
        *   Merged all changes to the pre-FIR tree
        *   Looking for approvals for first part of codegen upstreaming
     *   New Driver work
        *   ~4 options missing to reach feature parity with `f18`
        *   `-Werror` patch: https://reviews.llvm.org/D98657 (by Arnamoy)
     *   OpenMP/OpenACC work
        *   We hit the milestone for end-to-end working of a trivial OpenMP do loop. Can now demonstrate iterations mapping to different threads.
        *   Semantic checks for reductions, threadprivate, aligned.
     *   Quick Fortran in LLVM test suite status
        *   Nick has been out of the office, not a ton of progress.
        *   Just a few fixes for existing tests.
        *   ECP BoF on V&V testing for exascale computers. led by Oscar Hernandez, Vivek Kale, et al. Nick will give a 1-slide summary of the LLVM Testsuite work. April 14 (Wednesday), 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM EDT
     *   Porting unit tests to gtest work ongoing, looking for reviewers and additional contributors
     *   Jean Perrier has started work on intrinsics, looking for contributors and has a document for adding intrinsics.
        *   Lowering work is going on in fir-dev for now until it’s fully upstreamed
        *   Runtime work is going on in the main LLVM repository
  *   Classic Flang development update
     *   LLVM-12 support being added. Bryan has submitted changes for review.

Details:

  *   Flang on GitHub
     *    LLVM Flang is in https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/main/flang.
     *   There have been 3,082 commits for LLVM Flang encompassing over 186,000 lines of code, documentation, CMakefiles and tests.
     *   There have been 1,764 total commits to Classic Flang in https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang.
  *   LLVM Flang recent development
     *   New Driver:
        *   Add options for -fdefault* and -flarge-sizes
        *   Refine tests for module search directories
        *   Add -fdebug-dump-parsing-log
        *   Add -fdebug-module-writer option
     *   FIR:
        *   Add diagnostic tests for FIR ops verifier
        *   Add FIR Types parser diagnostic tests
        *   Upstream the pre-FIR tree changes (The PFT has been updated to support Fortran 77)
     *   OpenMP - add semantic checks for:
        *   OpenMP 4.5 - 2.7.1 Do Loop restrictions for Threadprivate
        *   Occurrence of multiple list items in aligned clause for simd directive
        *   Flang OpenMP 4.5 - 2.15.3.6 Reduction clause
     *   Update character tests to use gtest
     *   Adaptations to MLIR API changes
     *   Fix call to CHECK() on overriding an erroneous type-bound procedure
     *   Handle type-bound procedures with alternate returns
     *   Runtime: implement INDEX intrinsic function
  *   Classic Flang recent development
     *   flang1: fix for issue #1006<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/issues/1006>: stop passing unused uninitialized value
     *   Nested implied do loop fix for real numbers
     *   Test case for capturing procedure pointers to OpenMP parallel regions
     *   flang2: corrected fix for #424<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/issues/424> ("constant expression type mismatch" for valid code)