[flang-dev] Flang Biweekly Sync - Notes from the March 3, 2021 call

Perry-Holby, Alexis via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 3 09:51:10 PST 2021

Flang team,

Here are the notes from the March 3, 2021 Flang Community biweekly call.

We will be switching over to using a Google Doc for keeping record of the notes for future meetings, available here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10T-S2J3GrahpG4Ooif93NSTz2zBW0MQc_RlwHi0-afY/edit?usp=sharing>.  If you have trouble accessing the document, please email me (aperry at lanl.gov<mailto:aperry at lanl.gov>) and I will add your email to the access list.

Also, let me know if you have any topics you would like to see covered in the next call.

Upcoming calls (all times Pacific time):
Call

When

LLVM Flang Technical Community call

Monday, March 8, at 8:30 AM

LLVM Alias Analysis call

Tuesday, March 23, at 10:00 AM

Classic Flang biweekly call

Wednesday, March 10, at 8:00 AM

OpenMP developer call

Thursday, March 4, at 8:00 AM

Flang biweekly call (this call)

Wednesday, March 17, at 8:30 AM

New Driver Technical biweekly call

Monday, March 15, at 8:30 AM

Information for joining these calls and the Flang Slack workspace can be found at http://flang.llvm.org/docs/GettingInvolved.html.

Thank you,
-- Alexis

 Agenda:

  *   LLVM Workshop at CGO recap
     *   MLIR-related talks presented
     *   Videos of talks will be available soon on YouTube
  *   LLVM Flang Technical Call agenda
     *   Alias Analysis Framework presentation (hopefully)
  *   LLVM Flang development updates
     *   Fir-dev merge status
        *   Majority of FIR operators and types have been upstreamed
        *   Likely upstreaming code generation next (lowering FIR ops to LLVM IR)
     *   Adding Fortran tests to LLVM suite status
        *   Still working on SPEC CPU 2017

           *   Having trouble building some of the test cases. Talk to local SPEC repo at ANL. SPEC CPU relies on `filepp` which is an old Fortran preprocessor from the days of yore.

              *   #comment
           *   I am thinking of patching the problematic source files.
           *   Might be done by end of March 2021
        *   Met with Brian Friesen to talk about possible tests that could be added.
     *   New Driver work
        *   What should be the spelling for `-Mstandard` in `flang-new`? `-Wpedantic`? https://reviews.llvm.org/D97119
        *   ~5 options away from feature parity with `f18`
        *   Should we consider adding code-gen support on fir-dev?
     *   OpenMP/OpenACC work
        *   Semantic checks for firstprivate, lastprivate, copyprivate clauses.
        *   Two PRs in review which will help demonstrate working parallel do execution. Jean Perier helping with reviews.
        *   BNL folks interested in OpenMP for target, device etc.
  *   Classic Flang development update
     *   Phasing out support for llvm-9, Adding support for llvm-12
     *   PR 1000 (hurray!)
     *   Array debug merged. Reduces delta with upstream llvm.
     *   See details below

Details:

  *   Flang on GitHub
     *    LLVM Flang is in https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/master/flang.
     *   There have been 3,044 commits for LLVM Flang encompassing over 183,000 lines of code, documentation, CMakefiles and tests.
     *   There have been 1,760 total commits to Classic Flang in https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang.
  *   LLVM Flang recent development
     *   Fix compilation on MinGW-w64
     *   Driver
        *   Add debug dump, measure-parse-tree and pre-fir-tree options
        *   Add -Xflang and make -test-io a frontend-only flang
        *   Add -J and -module-dir to f18 driver
        *   Fix -fdefault* family bug
     *   Extension: forward refs to dummy args under IMPLICIT NONE
     *   FIR
        *   Update flang test tool support classes
        *   Add zero_bits, array value, and other operations
        *   Upstream utility function valueHasFirAttribute() to be used in subsequent merges
     *   Add source line to lowering TODO messages
     *   Share all driver test directories between `f18` and `flang-new`
     *   Detect circularly defined interfaces of procedures
     *   OpenMP - Add semantic checks for:
        *   2.15.4.2 - Copyprivate clause
        *   2.15.3.4 - Firstprivate clause
        *   2.15.3.5 - Lastprivate clause
     *   Implement the related character intrinsic functions SCAN and VERIFY
  *   Classic Flang recent development
     *   Numerous debug support improvements including, but not limited to:
        *   Adjustable array
        *   pointer/allocatable array
        *   generate DW_AT_associated / DW_AT_allocated
        *   Assumed size array
        *   non-contiguous assumed shape array
        *   assumed rank array
     *   Fix for regression introduced by PR #922<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/pull/922> (issue #995<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/issues/995>).<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/commit/77b0bc3dba1bb6b82ad1b8c8cbeaf1b1aa772ac2>
     *   add 'asprintf' function for use on win32
     *   Fix errors on array initialization with an implied do loop