[flang-dev] [EXTERNAL] flang test questions

Damian Rouson via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 21 16:26:25 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:25 AM Kiran Chandramohan <
Kiran.Chandramohan at arm.com> wrote:

> I believe, Pat and Damian are talking about execution tests for Fortran
> intrinsics.

Correct.  As someone who thinks more from the perspective of an application
developer, I'd like to write execution tests, which is also what led me to
the fir-dev branch as I don't think the ability to produce executable files
has been accepted upstream yet.

> While these are not testing the intermediate representations, these are
> unit-tests that only apply to Flang. And when we make changes to the
> compiler, it will be good to test (with check-flang) that they pass. I
> don't know what is the framework that is being chosen for running these
> tests, but for the trivial cases, we do not need CMake.

For testing, I was originally planning to use the Vegetables
<https://gitlab.com/everythingfunctional/vegetables> unit testing
framework, which I like because it supports writing tests in the form of a
specification.  I would also like to add a capability for building the
tests using the Fortran Package Manager (fpm
<https://github.com/fortran-lang/fpm>).  Doing so is trivial -- much
simpler than modifying the CMake and with the benefit that it's trivial to
set things up so that fpm automatically downloads any test dependencies
such as Vegetables and we don't have to touch the CMake scripts.
Alternatively, if this proves problematic in any way, I'll commit a simple
assertion utility borrowed from the Sourcery
<https://github.com/sourceryinstitute/sourcery> library.

Damian