[flang-dev] flang test questions

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 13 13:55:54 PDT 2021

Hi Damian,

On 13/07/2021 20:06, Damian Rouson via flang-dev wrote:
> Second, I was informed in April that the f18-llvm-project fork's fir-dev
> branch isĀ able to produce executable files from Fortran 77 source.
> Could someone explain how to use this capability and whether this
> capability has been merged upstream to the llvm-project repository?

Merging this upstream is an ongoing process. I am not active in this
area so can't comment on timescales, but it is one of our main
challenges right now.

As for compiling with the fir-dev branch on f18-llvm-project, we have
been recently discussing this on flang-compiler.slack.com. Are you
active there? I can send you an invite.

> Do I need to pass a flag
> to tellĀ flang to produce an executable program without invoking gfortran?

`flang` that you are referring to is just a bash wrapper script [1] that
was added for experimenting. It will only use LLVM Flang to
parse-unparse the input source, and then will call e.g. `gfortran` for
code-generation. You can replace `gfortran` with some other Fortran
compiler. The name is rather confusing. We should rename it as
`flang-to-gnu` or something similar.

Welcome aboard! :)

-Andrzej

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/flang/tools/f18/flang.in