[flang-dev] Flang Biweekly Sync - Notes from the February 17, 2021 call

Perry-Holby, Alexis via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 17 09:10:20 PST 2021

Flang team,

Here are the notes from the February 17, 2021 Flang Community biweekly call.

We will be switching over to using a Google Doc for keeping record of the notes for future meetings, available here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10T-S2J3GrahpG4Ooif93NSTz2zBW0MQc_RlwHi0-afY/edit?usp=sharing>.  If you have trouble accessing the document, please email me (aperry at lanl.gov<mailto:aperry at lanl.gov>) and I will add your email to the access list.

Also, let me know if you have any topics you would like to see covered in the next call.

Upcoming calls (all times Pacific time):
Call

When

LLVM Flang Technical Community call

Monday, February 22, at 8:30 AM

LLVM Alias Analysis call

Tuesday, February 23, at 10:00 AM

Classic Flang biweekly call

Wednesday, February 24, at 8:00 AM

OpenMP developer call

Thursday, February 25, at 8:00 AM

Flang biweekly call (this call)

Wednesday, March 3, at 8:30 AM

New Driver Technical biweekly call

Monday, March 1, at 8:30 AM

Information for joining these calls and the Flang Slack workspace can be found at http://flang.llvm.org/docs/GettingInvolved.html.

Thank you,
-- Alexis

 Agenda:

  *   Google Summer of Code projects?
     *   Put ideas on the LLVM GSoC projects page
     *   Outreachy - longer time frame projects (weeks, not months, longer)
  *   FIR-level transformations - compiling a list, contact Johannes if you have ideas
  *   LLVM Workshop at CGO at the end of the month
     *   Register soon if you’d like to attend
     *   https://llvm.org/devmtg/2021-02-28/
  *   LLVM Flang Technical Call agenda
  *   LLVM Flang development updates
     *   Fir-dev merge status
        *   Continuing merge of FIR dialect definitions
        *   Starting on ops
        *   Standard delays from the review process, largely smooth
     *   Adding Fortran tests to LLVM suite status
        *   Last patch, https://reviews.llvm.org/D96746, revealed an issue with the CMake `Unix Makefiles` generator. Still mostly testing with GCC for now.

           *   So we will need to use Ninja 1.10 or greater and bump up the minimum CMake version. Much enhanced dependency scanning for Fortran Modules with Ninja.
           *   Nick wrote a bunch of complicated code to deal with the shortcomings in the `Unix Makefiles` generator. Using Ninja will make adding the rest of the tests simpler.
        *   Nick is enlisting Brian (LBNL) to help add tests :)
        *   Thinking about adding a buildbot with SPEC CPU 2017 somewhere.
     *   New Driver work
        *   Approaching feature parity with the throwaway driver
        *   Currently targeting LLVM 13 for full parity (with continued dependency on Clang), but date still flexible
     *   OpenMP/OpenACC work
        *   Semantic check additions
        *   Initial lowering in the fir-dev branch work ongoing
     *   Patch coming soon for coarrays
  *   Classic Flang development update
     *   Simplification of merge process and CI
     *   See details below

Details:

  *   Flang on GitHub
     *    LLVM Flang is in https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/master/flang.
     *   There have been 3,001 commits for LLVM Flang encompassing over 181,000 lines of code, documentation, CMakefiles and tests.
     *   There have been 1,743 total commits to Classic Flang in https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang.
  *   LLVM Flang recent development
     *   Driver: added support for various flags (forced form, -ffixed-line-length, -J/-module-dir, -fopenmp, -fopenacc, unparsing options)
     *   Adapt mlir based error status handling in `tco` tool
     *   Renaming and/or adding FIR types
     *   FIR: Add the opaque attribute class, Updates to internal name uniquer, Update the kind mapping class, Add fir-opt tool
     *   Manage per-specification-part state better
     *   Cope with specific procedures with same name as generic
     *   Macro replacement fixes
     *   OpenMP: add semantic check for DO loop restrictions
     *   Detect circularly defined procedures
  *   Classic Flang recent development
     *   Fix hash collision handling routine that didn't work due to a fatal mistake
     *   Add the option to build release_11x branch of llvm
     *   Do not error when character kind 2 is used
     *   Fix a clash between CONTIGUOUS and SAVE attribute in flang (issue #673)<https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang/commit/b225fa67f0e27be8af7fe434661f665b4a980ed6>
     *   Fixes to address cp2k compilation and runtime issues