[flang-dev] RFC: `fsyntax-only` as an alias for `fparse-only` in `f18`

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 1 07:17:55 PST 2021

Hi all,

Recently we've ported the preprocessor tests to use the new Flang
driver[1]. Soon we will be ready to port OpenMP and OpenACC tests. As
the new driver and `f18` use slightly different spellings for options
[2], we will require some workarounds. In this RFC I'd like to ask you
for your opinion on using `-fparse-only` and `-fsyntax-only`.

In [3] we introduce `-fsyntax-only` as an alias for `-fparse-only` in
`f18`. This is sufficient for us to start porting more tests to the new
Flang driver very soon. Also, in [3] we port all tests to use
`-fsyntax-only` instead of `-fparse-only`. Otherwise, `-fparse-only`
remains supported by `f18` and you can continue to use it.

Does the approach from [3] work for you or would you prefer a different
solution? I'm happy to propose some alternatives if there's interest.

Thank you for reading!

-Andrzej

[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D94805
[2] https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/flang-dev/2020-November/000588.html