[flang-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: refactoring clangDriver - diagnostics classes

Andrzej Warzynski via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 26 09:03:29 PST 2020

On 25/11/2020 21:39, David Blaikie wrote:

> It sounded like Richard was saying in the other thread, that if flang
> was going to share the integrated preprocessor - then the amount of
> code shared would be quite large and maybe flang depending on clang
> would be the right solution to that, if that's the direction we're
> going in.

Our goal has always been _just the driver_.

In the follow-up RFC [1], we refined our plan and tried to emphasise
that our plan is to:
  "Make libclangDriver independent of Clang".
Richard's reply to that RFC [2]: "(...) this seems like a good direction
to me". Hopefully Richard (CC'ed) can confirm that we didn't
misinterpret that :)

I don't think that Flang should depend on Clang. Also, that's something
that was explicitly requested in one of our early patches for the new
Flang driver [4]. And indeed, we committed ourselves to removing this
dependency on flang-dev [5]. As for cfe-dev, in both [1] and [3] we
proposed to move any shared code (in particular, libClangDriver) out of
Clang. So again, no dependency on Clang.

AFAIK, there are no plans to share the preprocessor and hence no
discussion in that direction is happening. Obviously I can't speak for
everyone on flang-dev, so I CC'ed that mailing list for better visibility.

Thank you for your feedback!

-Andrzej

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2020-July/066393.html
[2] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2020-August/066488.html