[flang-dev] OpenMP target regions and intrinsic Fortran math functions

Kiran Chandramohan via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 30 00:59:40 PDT 2020

Hi,

Another possibility (like with OpenACC dialect) is to use the GPU dialect in mlir to model target regions.

The gpu dialect can be converted to other vendor dialects like nvvm, rocdl. During these conversions, calls to math library functions are converted to calls to device library functions

For e.g: the following call to the cos math function is converted to either of the calls to __nv_exp or __ocml_cos_f64 below depending on the conversion chosen.
    %result64 = std.cos %arg_f64 : f64

      %1 = llvm.call @__nv_cos(%arg1) : (!llvm.double) -> !llvm.double
      %1 = llvm.call @__ocml_cos_f64(%arg1) : (!llvm.double) -> !llvm.double

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/647e9a54c758a6fdd85a569f019f00a653b2bc40/mlir/test/Conversion/GPUToNVVM/gpu-to-nvvm.mlir#L183