[flang-dev] FCVS Fortran 77 Test Suite

Richard Barton via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 16 05:49:03 PDT 2020


Hi Steve

I think this is a good idea.

The correct place for a test suite like this is in the LLVM Test suite because these are Fortran tests that are compiled to programs that run and print output which is checked for correctness. flang/test would not be the correct place for this because such tests should be confined to the LLVM sub-project boundary. For us, Flang is an LLVM sub-project that parses Fortran and emits LLVM IR (amongst other outputs). Our parsing and semantics tests are Fortran ->  error messages or Fortran -> Canonical unparsed Fortran, so inside the Flang sub-project boundary. Our codegen tests in flang/test will be Fortran -> LLVM IR tests, again to stay inside the sub-project boundary.

The process for adding tests to the LLVM test suite is through normal RFC to llvm-dev (for example [1]). You would need to propose FCVS as either an external suite, where just configuration and run scripts are added to the test suite, or an internal suite, where the whole codebase is added as well. The license for FCVS would need to be compatible as you say and I am not sure how that ruling is made. Perhaps start with the RFC and see what responses you get?

Ta
Rich

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-August/134833.html

> -----Original Message-----
> From: flang-dev <flang-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> On Behalf Of Timothy
> Keith via flang-dev
> Sent: 15 July, 2020 15:52
> To: Steve Scalpone <sscalpone at nvidia.com>; flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
> Subject: Re: [flang-dev] FCVS Fortran 77 Test Suite
> 
> Why not just add them under flang/tests and enable them to be run as they
> start working? For now check that parsing and semantics works and when we
> can, enable full compile and execute.
> 
> Tim
> 
> ´╗┐On 7/15/20, 7:01 AM, "flang-dev on behalf of Steve Scalpone via flang-dev"
> <flang-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org on behalf of flang-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> wrote:
> 
>     External email: Use caution opening links or attachments
> 
> 
>     FCVS is a freely available Fortran test suite [1].  It is distributed as a
> compressed tar file.
> 
>     What's the recommended path for integrating such a suite with llvm-
> project?
> 
>     There's no license file in the tar file.  However, there's this:
> 
>     Software Acknowledgment and Redistribution [2]
> 
>     The conformance test suites provided here are released by the National
> Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), an agency of the U.S.
> Department of Commerce, Gaithersburg MD 20899, USA. The test suites
> bear no warranty, either express or implied. NIST does not assume legal
> liability nor responsibility for a User's use of a test suite or the results of such
> use.
> 
>     Please note that within the United States, copyright protection, under
> Section 105 of the United States Code, Title 17, is not available for any work
> of the United States Government and/or for any works created by United
> States Government employees. User acknowledges that these test suites
> contain work which was created by NIST employees and is therefore in the
> public domain and not subject to copyright. The User may use, distribute, or
> incorporate these test suites provided the User acknowledges this via an
> explicit acknowledgment of NIST-related contributions to the User's work.
> User also agrees to acknowledge, via an explicit acknowledgment, that any
> modifications or alterations have been made to these test suites before
> redistribution.
> 
>     [1] https://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/fortran_form.htm
>     [2] https://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/softagre.htm
> 
> 
>     _______________________________________________
>     flang-dev mailing list
>     flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
>     https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/flang-dev
> 
> _______________________________________________
> flang-dev mailing list
> flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
> https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/flang-dev


More information about the flang-dev mailing list