[flang-dev] Rewriting f18's history for inclusion in llvm monorepo

Peter Waller via flang-dev flang-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 6 08:04:28 PST 2019

On 06/12/2019 15:49, Peter Waller via flang-dev wrote:
> The other obvious solution might be to detect this case and throw it
> into the "hard" bucket.

I just had a quick go at this by detecting merges into branches and it
results in 199 squashed merge commits, which consolidate a total of 603
commits.

I'm now going to stop working on this until there is more public
feedback about precisely what needs to be achieved.

Generally, I'm beginning to think trying to preserve the individual
commits in branches is fraught, especially when there is merge activity
going into those branches. It really needs someone to go and rebase all
those branches and check that the result is correct, and I think there
may be many cases where it is not.

When linearizing the history in this way, the only points with a simple
set of guarantees about are the first-parent commits on the mainline branch.

Perhaps there is a better approach I've not considered, but I'm thinking
it would require someone who is more adept at patch algebra than me :)

Have a good weekend,

- Peter