[clangd-dev] Multi-threads vs multi-processes mode

Dmitry Polukhin via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 20 09:43:08 PDT 2021

Hi,

I'm curious about the pros and cons behind the threading model of clangd.
Now clangd runs workers in separate threads that might be good from
resource management perspectives but it hurts stability. If a crash happens
or OOM on a source file, clangd process dies with all workers. I tried to
find a discussion about this decision but I haven't found anything. If it
was discussed, could you please give links to the discussion? If it was not
discussed yet, does anyone know why using separate processes for workers
might be definitely a bad idea?

Thanks,
Dmitry