[clangd-dev] [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues [UPDATED]

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 24 15:43:23 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:36 PM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> [...]
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> repo) has been very positive, and I'm glad you're pushing on this!

>>> subproject only, which is a scope that the tool works well for (on the user
>>> and developer side).
>>> bugtracker. Email subscription to a label is better than nothing, but worse
>>> than a separate repo.
>>> simplest thing, though I'm happy to work on auto-moving bugs if that's
>>> better.

>>> that's not a popular opinion here)
>>>
>>> I think it's important for everything in the monorepo to use the same
>>> bug tracker.
>>>
>>> There are advantages to having code in the monorepo (e.g. free
>>> updates for API changes, a more consistent build experience, etc.).
>>> But there are also costs, as you have pointed out, like having to use
>>> a less than ideal bug tracker.  It's really up to sub-projects
>>> to make the decision about whether these benefits are worth the costs.
>>> The flang developers have just gone through this process and have
>>> had to make some sacrifices to get the code in, but ultimately felt the
>>> sacrifices were worth it.
>>>
>>> I think it hurts the ability of developers and users to collaborate
>>> effectively,
>>> if the infrastructure for the project is spread across too many
>>> different places.
>>> And good collaboration is key for a project of this size with some many
>>> tightly
>>> connected components.
>>>
>> (sorry, I should probably not tilt at this windmill. More on-topic stuff
>> below, I promise!)
>> Right, and I think having a single-project view of the LLVM organization
>> is a mistake: it's a graph of projects, some are highly connected and some
>> are not.
>> The monorepo has a strong technical reason: the graph is connected and
>> accepting a CI boundary anywhere is expensive in the absence of stable APIs.
>> But this is much less true for bug tracking systems: the cost to crossing
>> boundaries is smaller.
>> For clangd, the benefit of sharing a tracker with clang AST+Sema is less
>> than the cost of sharing a tracker with clang codegen, LLVM proper, LLD,
>> flang, MLIR, ... (and the opposite is true for source control/CI).
>> Anyway, this is going to depend on what part(s) of the project graph you
>> touch: people connected to many parts will want to make coordinating with
>> hundreds of people incrementally, while people connected to few parts are
>> far better served by communicating only with the people they need to
>> (communication famously scales badly).
>>

> I would assume we will eventually want to open up our github repository to
> pull requests. When that happens, if you use a separate bugtracker then
> clangd issues will be split across the two: pull requests will be sent to
> the monorepo because (as far as I'm aware) a pull request for a repo can
> only be sent to that repo's issue tracker, but your "regular" issues will

I think we probably are underestimating this aspect. (Though it's future
and not certain, so some discount applies!)
At a technical level it's not worse than the phab/GH issues separation we
have today, but it might be more confusing and we might miss out on
workflow improvements.

> And even that is a rosier picture than I expect you'll actually
> experience: people will file issues for clangd on the issue tracker
> attached to the clangd repository, simply because that's how the github
> workflow works in general.

In principle we can address this by automatically transferring issues based
on label. Might add to the confusion though.

> So if you keep a separate issue tracker, I think you will de facto end up
> with two issue trackers for clangd, and will spend some amount of ongoing
> effort managing that. So, I think you might be underestimating the costs
> here if you've not taken that into account already. That said, moving
> issues between repos is apparently feasible, so it seems like we could use
> clangd as an experiment to find out how major or minor these concerns
> actually are.

Or a different type of experiment: clangd deliberately supports both
trackers for a while and see works better.

> Getting back to the proposal we are discussing.  Do you have any specific
>>> feedback
>>> for improvements that might help make it align better with the kind of