[clangd-dev] Specifying format style using command line option

Dovod Dovodov via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 22 14:56:07 PDT 2019

Hello guys.
This is my first attempt contributing to clangd, so I hope for your
understanding.

Clangd by default tries to use .clang-format file to format code. Since
"Format as you type" is experimental feature, it may be unusual for people
like me who are used to format code before commit or using some
keybindings. And personally I have some discomfort when my editor tries to
insert too much new symbols when I'm typing.
So here's a patch which adds a new command line option to control
formatting style. Using it I can pass "-clang-format-style={DisableFormat:
true, SortIncludes: false}" and clangd will not apply any formatting to my
code. Since there's "-clang-tidy-checks" for clang-tidy, it looks
reasonable to have the same option for clang-format.
Will be grateful for any feedback, thank you very much!