[clangd-dev] [cfe-dev] Delayed typo correction is fragile

Reid Kleckner via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 15 13:53:23 PDT 2019

Richard and I happened to discuss this problem two years ago, I think. What
I half remember from the conversation is that the problem of delayed typo
checking is somewhat equivalent to memory ownership management. Some
methods produce Stmt nodes that may contain delayed typos, and others do
not, and the caller just has to "know" if they are responsible for checking
delayed typos or not. I guess it's different in that you can check the same
Stmt tree twice for typos, but you can't free memory twice. The
consequences of forgetting to check delayed typos are that the compiler may
accept invalid code containing typos, only to crash later in CodeGen or
analysis.

Richard explained that Clang used to do manual memory management for Stmt
nodes. You can see evidence of this in clang/Sema/Ownership.h header.
Experience showed that managing ownership was onerous, so a decision was
made to make all nodes implicitly owned by the ASTContext. Given that clang
removed one form of ownership management, it seems like it would be awkward
to try to use the type system to track delayed typo correction.

Based on that background, I think we need a design that has safe failure
modes. For example, if we could emit errors at end of TU instead of
asserting, that would probably be good enough. Then placing the calls to
CorrectDelayedTyposInExpr well is a matter of diagnostic quality, not
correctness.

Anyway, we got this far in the discussion, but then had to run off and go
do other things as usual. :) If someone has time to improve this, I agree,
it would be great, this assertion pops up in the clang fuzzer reports again
and again.