[clangd-dev] New LSP language service supporting Swift and C-family languages, using clangd

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 23 12:10:35 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018, 20:34 Argyrios Kyrtzidis <akyrtzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since you started looking at background indexing functionality here’s some
> feedback based on our experiences, which will also provide some context for
> why we pursued index-while-building.

Yes, when looking at your designs we saw there are huge benefits to
index-while-build when you can use the "real" build.

This relies on on the build toolchain being a recent enough/version-locked
clang so that it produces usable IWB output.
I think this is ~always the case for Xcode+mac and ~never for cmake+linux
type projects. The system compiler is probably GCC most of the time!

So we figured we needed to have a solid story without relying on actual
index-while-build. With some sadness!
(We actually do have a build-integrated indexer internally at Google where
we control the toolchain)

We haven’t looked into Dex in details but it *seems* that it could play the
> role of what we currently use LMDB for, speed up queries to efficiently
> figure out where certain information resides in the record files, generated
> by index-while-building.

There's a couple of layers: the token/posting list/iterator stuff is fairly
generic search engine machinery.
If the lookup you need is something like "top N items whose properties
satisfy some boolean expression tree" it might fit the bill.

In top of that, the actual SymbolIndex implementation implements the
fuzzyFind operation we use for code completion. That might be useful if
it's harder to build such things on LMDB.

The biggest limitation is these structures aren't incremental - we have to
rebuild when the data changes. So in practice we overlay
frequently-changing data (memindex).