[clangd-dev] VS Code Clangd and CMake integration

Anton Södergren via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 28 14:00:16 PST 2018

> I'm not familiar with CMake Tools, I guess it helps with editing
> CMakeLists, CMake configs, and running configure/generate?

Except for the file editing part (that's handled by another extension),
you're pretty much right. It also allows for building and launching
debuggers. But it's the configure/generate part that's the most interesting
in our case.

Clangd works like other clang-based tools. Starting at the source file in
> question, it walks up directories until it finds compile_commands.json
> <https://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html>.

So it turned out that it indeed seemed to generate a compile_commands.json
file in the build folder (at least yesterday, today it doesn't seem to work
well at all). I tried copying that file over to my project root folder and
Clangd found it and started working correctly indeed!

The current best-practice is to manually create a symlink
> src/compile_commands.json -> build/compile_commands.json. I think
> symlinking src/.build to build/ is a slightly more principled approach, but
> something still has to create a symlink. (Maybe we could get CMake or CMake
> Tools to do it?)

While this is a possible approach, I think is sounds a little unwieldy
(though that might just be personal preference). When I looked around a bit
more, I saw that the Clang tooling docs
<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/HowToSetupToolingForLLVM.html> mentioned that
it's possible to pass the build path directly to Clang tools with a -p
parameter, is this possible in Clangd too? For example, other IDE's that
utilize clang-tidy (e.g. CLion) seem to do so without any visible symlinks.
To me, that sounds more robust and clean than having to pollute the source
tree with symlinks. Of course, that would require some work probably on
both of the plugins involved. Also, having a general and flexible approach
for this would be nice, as I'm also interested in getting work on a build2
extension going, which would require the same functionality.

clangd has to reload the data when appropriate. Today, it caches forever
> :-( Ilya is working on fixing it!

I did notice this problem when testing it out yesterday. But I trust that
it will get fixed then!

Cheers,
Anton