[clangd-dev] LSP's diagnostic's 'code' and Clang's diagnostic category

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 7 18:29:25 PDT 2018

Good question! I'm not aware of any discussion around this.

Using the diagnostic category seems a little course-grained, I think the
most natural fit would be the diagnostic name itself like
"warn_asm_qualifier_ignored".

If you want the category too, any of these seem ok to me:
- code = category/name, e.g. "Parse/warn_asm_qualifier_ignored"
- add "category" attribute to diagnostic as LSP extension (I'd have no
problem with keeping this always on)
- keep a lookup table in the client (if consuming the tabledef files and
maintaining version lock works for you)

What do you think?