[cfe-users] inconsistent compilation error inside constexpr if

Manu agarwal via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 23 09:40:51 PDT 2020

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I missed to mention the environment and what i am trying to do.

  1.  Environment is ClangCL (version 10.0), Microsoft Visual Studio.

       2. I assumed that since the 'constexpr if' evaluates to false, the external function's presence would not be checked. So, if my application is not of type 'client' ClientMain would not be called.  My actual code inside the constexpr if is the commented line of code that does not compile. To experiment i simply invoked ClientMain directly which compiled fine.

Here is the assembly generated from the successful compilation (with the first line inside 'constexpr if' enabled).

"??$MyAppInit@$02 at MyAppTemplate@@SQ_NXZ": # @"??$MyAppInit@$02 at MyAppTemplate@@SQ_NXZ"
.Lfunc_begin2:
.cv_func_id 2
.cv_loc 2 1 32 0                # Main.cpp:32:0
# %bb.0:
.cv_loc 2 1 39 0                # Main.cpp:39:0
xor eax, eax
                                        # kill: def $al killed $al killed $eax
.Ltmp6:
ret
.Ltmp7:
.Lfunc_end2:

Here is how the compiler is invoked:

E:\LLVM\bin\clang-cl.exe  /c /Z7 /nologo /W3 /WX- /diagnostics:column /Od /D _DEBUG /D _CONSOLE /D _UNICODE /D UNICODE /EHsc /MTd /GS /fp:precise /permissive- /std:c++17 /FA /Fa"x64\Debug\\" /Fo"x64\Debug\\" /Gv /TP -m64  Main.cpp
1>  Done executing task "CL".

Is my understanding of 'constexpr if' wrong ? won't the body get discarded in case it gets evaluated to false?

Regards,
Manu