[cfe-users] Compiling for Linux (with Visual Studio and Clang)

John Emmas via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 4 06:46:07 PDT 2020

Hi there...  back in 2019 I read somewhere that the clang devs and
Microsoft were collaborating to make Visual Studio compatible with
clang.  IIRC the goal was to be able to use Visual Studio to build
programs for both Windows and Linux.  I tested Visual Studio with clang
(on Windows) and I was hugely surprised at how well they work together!!

So what's the situation if I want to compile some C++ code for Linux?  I
realise that Windows-specific features won't be supported (e.g. MFC) but
what about cross-platform code?  Is there a Linux version of Visual
Studio available now?  Or does it work by cross-compiling from VS (in
Windows) somehow?  Hope that makes sense....

John