[cfe-users] Linking problem with implicit instantiation of constructor/destructor

Jaroslav Zeman via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 19 06:09:28 PDT 2020

> What happens if you change the order of the .cpp files, putting
> template.cpp first; is it stil unresolved?
>
> clang++ -o test template.cpp main.cpp

The order doesn't matter.

> I don't believe this code is valid according to C++. I believe it would
> require an explicit instantiation of the ctor/dtor somewhere to make that
> code valid - though I don't have chapter and verse on the spec at hand just
> now to back that up.

I tried to read the c++ specs, but didn't find anything, that would clearly
state, if this is correct or incorrect. But the specs are too complicated for
me to understand.

My opinion is that it is bad to rely on implicit instantiation to happen
somewhere and don't do the explicit one. So I've already fixed all these
problems in our code and now I am just curious, what others think about it.

JZ.