[cfe-users] Linking error and memory bloating for .so file creation

Matthew Fernandez via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 11 17:32:59 PDT 2019

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 00:24, Ankush Sharma via cfe-users <cfe-users at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> During the linking stage for an “.so” file creation, an error message is being flagged by clang.
> ld: error: dummy.so: write: Function not implemented
>
> I'm not able to make a sense out of this message as it seems different from an "undefined reference" error. There are multiple occurrence of this message during the linking process.
> Also the linking doesn’t complete and the output “.so” keeps on bloating reaching size upto 1TB or 100s of GB. Manual termination is required to stop this process.
>
> Any leads would be appreciated.

Just a guess, but perhaps this is not a linking error at all. This looks to me like ld calling write() and the call itself returning ENOSYS. Is there something unusual about the filesystem you’re writing dummy.so to? If the write fails but the file size also increases, I wonder if what you’re seeing is some sort of I/O error. Anything exciting in dmesg and friends?