[cfe-users] AST Recursive Visitor- Statements (Stmt *)

Richard Trieu via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 30 21:11:13 PDT 2019

Hi Ayush,

First, you need to know the classes associated with each of your target AST
nodes.  These are IfStmt, WhileStmt, ForStmt, BinaryOperator, and
UnaryOperator.  Each of these are sub-classes of Stmt.  IfStmt, WhileStmt,
ForStmt and direct sub-classes while BinaryOperator and UnaryOperator are
sub-classes of Expr, which is a sub-class of ValueStmt, which is a
sub-class of Stmt.  There's also two other related classes, CXXForRangeStmt
and DoStmt, which represent ranged-based for-loops and do/while loops.

Second, pointers can be changed between classes with the cast and dyn_cast
functions and Stmt::getStmtClass() will tell the type of the Stmt.  They
are used as follows:

void VisitStmt(Stmt *S) {
  if (BinaryOperator *BO = dyn_cast<BinaryOperator>(S)) {
    // Process BinaryOperator here
  } else if (UnaryOperator *UO = dyn_cast<UnaryOperator>(S)) {
  } // other checks here
}

void VisitStmt(Stmt *S) {
  switch (S->getStmtClass()) {
  case Stmt::BinaryOperatorClass: {
    BinaryOperator *BO = cast<BinaryOperator>(S);
    // Process BinaryOperator here
  }
  case Stmt::UnaryOperatorClass: {
    UnaryOperator *UO = cast<UnaryOperator>(S);
  }
  // Other cases here
  }
}

The difference between cast and dyn_cast is that cast expects the pointer
is the correct type without checking while dyn_cast does check the target
type and returns a null pointer on a type mismatch.  Chains of dyn_cast's
are used if the list of nodes is short while using a switch on
Stmt::getStmtClass() is used when checking a lot of node types.

There's also a third way.  Since you are already using a visitor, the
visitor will have a visit function for each AST node.  Instead of writing
just VisitStmt, you will write a VisitBinaryOperator(BinaryOperator *),
VisitUnaryOperator(UnaryOperator *), and so on for each one you're
interested in.  Hope this is enough to get you started.