[cfe-users] [llvm-dev] objc object file generated for gnustep runtime for ELF target is too big

David Chisnall via cfe-users cfe-users at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 27 00:42:15 PDT 2016

On 26 Sep 2016, at 14:33, Perevalov Alexey via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Could somebody point me where to solve that problem, is it AST       generation stage, or linkage stage or maybe it's not a problem and just LTO could be solution here?

First, please don’t expect the sizes for different runtimes to be the same (or, necessarily, to be even very close).  The Mac runtimes have a bit more support from the linker for various things.  To ensure that property introspection is consistent without this support, the GNUstep runtime IR generation emits property definitions in all compilation units and then uniques them later.

We’re currently working on a new ABI for the GNUstep runtime that should address the size issues, but until then this looks pretty much what I’d expect.

David