[cfe-users] UBSAN_MODE_UNKNOWN

Alexey Samsonov vonosmas at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:50:39 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Ben Pope <benpope81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 05, 2015 12:08 AM, Alexey Samsonov wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Ben Pope
>> <benpope81 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:benpope81 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     When I run with UBSAN over the Boost libraries, I get a lot of
>>     output of the form:
>>     ==20717==Sanitizer CHECK failed:
>>
>> /home/ben/development/llvm/trunk/llvm/projects/compiler-rt/lib/ubsan/ubsan_init.cc:60
>>     ((UBSAN_MODE_UNKNOWN)) != ((ubsan_mode)) (0, 0)
>>
>>     I'm not sure what's going wrong, I was expecting something more
>>     descriptive!
>>

>> Right, I should probably add more descriptive error message...
>>
>> Can you provide the details of how you compile
>> your source files and link them into libraries and executable? It looks
>> like your executable is linked with both UBSan
>> runtime and ASan runtime. It can happen if the link flags used were
>> inconsistent, or you mix libraries/executables
>> built with different versions of Clang.
>>

> It's not impossible, but I don't think I'm linking both runtimes.
>

> Here's an example:
>
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/BenPope%20x86_64%20Ubuntu-boost-bin-v2-libs-algorithm-test-all_of_test-test-clang-linux-3-7~ubsan~c14_libc++-debug.html

Indeed, looks like the compile/link commands are reasonable, and the
problem is somewhere else. On Linux, we assume that UBSan runtime will
be initialized by calling __ubsan::InitAsStandalone() from .preinit_array
section (i.e. very early), and that subsequent calls to
__ubsan::InitAsStandaloneIfNecessary() will
effectively be a no-op. Apparently, this assumption doesn't hold in your
case.

Can you send me a stack trace of this CHECK-failure? (i.e. run the
executable under gdb and fetch stack trace from it).

> Ben

Alexey Samsonov
vonosmas at gmail.com