[cfe-users] Migrating to clang from GCC

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 08:19:22 PDT 2015

This thread seems to have gone in a strange direction - using clang does
not imply or require using libc++.

To answer your original question: this is essentially fine/correct modulo
bugs and version incompatibilities (the two compilers don't necessarily
line up perfectly with respect to feature, bug, etc implementation at all
times)

You can compile parts of your c++ program (including using c++ standard
library types on that interface boundary) with clang and parts with gcc
(both using the same standard library) and they should link and run
correctly together.

(If you're curious about the nitty gritty of why this works, its related to
a thing called the ABI, and specifically the itanium ABI)