[cfe-users] Best practice for libc++ and stdlibc++ binaries

Matt Bearup mbearup at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 13 13:58:38 PST 2015

Hey folks,
Is there a best practice for hosting clang/libc++ libraries and gcc/stdlibc++ libraries on the same system? For instance, one could have an app which depends on the libc++ version of a boost library, but also have some apps that depend on the stdlib version of the same library.
To avoid overlapping the stdlib and libc++ versions of the same library, we can give them unique names, which seems straightforward and effective.

Things gets a bit muddier when we consider developer packages. These typically include header files and/or archive(.a)/object(.o) files that are tied to the standard library (stdlib or libc++) for which they were compiled. It's easy to extract the header files into their own package (to avoid duplication) but the .a/.o files could easily trample over each other unless we separate stdlib and lib++ archives/objects into separate folders.

Just wondering if there's a best practice out there before we go inventing our own solution - thanks!

Matt Bearup
Software Developer - CEH, CISSP
Microsoft Azure [cid:image001.png at 01CDCB40.4A33D9F0]  Linux