[cfe-users] installing a complete clang++ environment

Klaus Rudolph lts-rudolph at gmx.de
Fri Sep 26 01:43:20 PDT 2014

I try to use clang 3.6 for c++ development. I found a "clang+llvm-3.5.0-x86_64-fedora20.tar.xz" binary. But compiling with it results in:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/../../../../include/c++/4.8.3/cstdio:120:11: error: no member named 'gets' in the global namespace

which shows that clang uses my system installed stdlibc++ which is not what I want.

After searching a lot I found that I should set:
CXXFLAGS=-stdlib=libc++ -nodefaultlibs -lc++ -lc++abi -lm -lc -lgcc_s -lgcc

which simply results in:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc++abi

OK, both libs are not part of the binary prebuild.

Where can I find the needed libraries? If not, how can I compile a complete clang++? And how to install them?

Is there any full documentation about clang installing and first steps for using tutorial?

My problem is that I could find a lot of information, but nothing is complete. Each page I found give only a piece of information and combining all the infos results in incompatible solutions.

Regards!
 Klaus