[cfe-users] Functionality of __BASE_FILE__

Iritscen iritscen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 16:13:59 PDT 2014

Thanks for the response.  I completely failed to grasp what the “base” in __BASE_FILE__ meant, from all that I read on the Internet and in the clang docs, until I read your succinct definition.   In my humble opinion, the docs for clang should not describe __BASE_FILE__ as "Defined to a string that contains the name of the main input file passed to Clang”, but rather “Defined to a string that contains the *path*…”.

Even though the file might get passed to clang with a relative path, __BASE_FILE__ is still returning that path, not just the name -- even if the path is "./foo.c" or even just "foo.c".

Anyway, as you said, it seems that I need to focus on the subject of optimization, so I suppose I should cross-post the llvm portion of my OP on an llvm mailing list.

- Iritscen