[cfe-users] Generating a dependency graph and dependency file

Samrat Roy samratroy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 03:37:46 PDT 2014

Hi there.

I am trying to generate a list of include dependencies of a specific cpp
file using the option -dependency-file <filename> of clang 3.5 on Unbuntu
12.04 LTS. I have tried using it in the following way:

           clang++ -MM -dependency-file hello_includes.txt hello.cpp

and

            clang++ -MM hello.cpp -Xpreprocessor -dependency-file
hello_includes.txt

but have been unable to make it work.

             clang: warning: argument unused during compilation:
'-dependency-file hello_include.txt'

So, I was wondering if this feature is actually supported ? ( I am confused
as the it shows up in the clang user help but is not contained in the User
Manual ). Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Samrat Roy.