[cfe-users] Problem installing Clang

Hans Wennborg hans at chromium.org
Fri Mar 21 19:50:04 PDT 2014

Hi John,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM, John Pote <johnhpote at o2.co.uk> wrote:
> Thought I would give clang a try out so installed version 3.4 pre-built
> binary "Clang for Windows (.sig)" from
> http://llvm.org/releases/download.html#3.4.
> Installation seemed to go OK.
>
> When I tried to run clang.exe I received a windows error message stating
> that the .exe was not a valid win32 executable. So I tried some of the other
> executables in the bin directory, all of them gave the same result.
>
> My PC is running Win XP professional 5.1 with service pack 3.

The 3.4 release for Windows doesn't support Windows XP. Unfortunately
we didn't realize this until after the release.

The good news is that the more recent versions of the snapshots at
http://www.llvm.org/builds/ are built with XP support.

> Also I could not find any docs on how to  use clang. The on line
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html is a little sparse. Curiously
> while I did find most of the usual include files I could not find stdio.h .

stdio.h isn't included because we don't provide a C standard library.
You'll have to use the standard library from Visual Studio or MinGW.

Hope this helps,
Hans