[cfe-users] Is there a way to make clang warn on this code?

Richard Trieu rtrieu at google.com
Fri Mar 14 19:05:43 PDT 2014

Quentin,

Clang does not have a warning for uninitialized fields in class methods.
 I've looked before to add a warning to flag any unused fields at the end
of the a constructor.  However, there were good reasons to have
uninitialized fields, such as having an Init() method later that
initializes the fields, or a guard variable to protect against
uninitialized use.  Also, -Wuninitialized typically warns on the use of an
uninitialized variable, not the mere presence of one.

The other idea is to do cross method analysis, either using the control
flow of a program to determine which methods are used in which order, or
testing methods against constructors.  Such an analysis would likely be too
expensive, and would be more suited for static analysis.

So there's no warning for this yet, and probably won't be unless we find a
better way to detect it.

Richard