[cfe-users] Problems compiling within the clang source tree

Adrian Ortega elfus0.1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 19:33:07 PST 2014

Hello,

I am trying to compile the example 'clang-interpreter' from path
'tools/clang/examples'. I copied that folder into the build-llvm folder
I created for building llvm and clang, specifically in folder
'tools/clang/tools/'. When I do 'make' all I get is

make: *** No rule to make target
`/home/blah/llvm/tools/clang/tools/clang-interpreter/Makefile', needed
by `Makefile'.  Stop.

I thought that my build was broken, but it was not. I tried downloading
this example https://github.com/kevinaboos/LibToolingExample and placed
it under the same 'tools/clang/tools/' folder as the clang interpreter.
When I did 'make' it just compiled, created the Debug+Asserts folder in
'tools/clang/tools/LibToolingExample/Debug+Asserts/' and placed the
binary under the '$LLVM_ROOT/Debug+Asserts/bin/' folder, and it works fine.

I tried copying the makefile from that LibToolingExample and changed
only the name of source file to be compiled, it didn't work, I get the
same error I described above.

 From this I can tell that I'm doing something wrong as I don't fully
understand the llvm-clang build system yet, I was able to compile an
example but not the example provided in clang directory. Do you have any
idea on what the problem is? Or do you have a hint of what Makefile or
Documentation I should read to solve this?

Thanks.

P.D. I am able to able to compile the clang examples out of the
llvm-clang source tree by providing the correct compiler flags, but I'd
like to use the llvm-clang build system :)