[cfe-dev] Adding clang extension support for BPF CO-RE relocation support

Y Song via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 5 20:33:04 PST 2022

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 6:36 PM John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2022, at 14:52, Y Song wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:40 AM Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com>
> > wrote:

> >> What organization determines things like the specification you posted
> >> above, or is there no organization behind these efforts?
> >
> > The BPF foundation (https://ebpf.io/foundation/) is responsible for
> > the specification. The general discussion (specification, loader
> > implementation, etc.)
>
> Okay, thanks, this is what we’re looking for here.

> >> This is not a long term support plan. :-) When we have support needs
> >> in the future, will there be people/a company/a community available
> >> do that work or is the expectation that once this lands, the Clang
> >> community is responsible for it? (This matters with the above
> >> question
> >> about the organization responsible for governing the specification --
> >> can the Clang community do as they please here or do we need to
> >> coordinate with others?)
> >
> > The best place probably is to engage with the mailing list
> > https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/.
> > People can also reach the bpf foundation for guidance/direction.
>
> Okay.  Just so we know, I assume you’re part of the BPF community?

Yes, I am part of BPF community, and also part of
LLVM community as I maintain the clang/llvm BPF backend with
Alexei Starovoitov.

> Are you doing this by yourself, or is there a larger institution
> supporting your efforts (for example, a company or university)?

I am a software engineer from Meta (former Facebook). I am in
the linux kernel team. Supporting the bpf community is part of my job,
which benefits Meta too.

> I’m sorry to pry, but we actually don’t have any information about
> you except a gmail address. :)

No problem! If the community has any questions regarding to
BPF/BTF support in clang/llvm, they can reach me, Alexei, or
bpf mailing list and we are glad to help.

[...]