[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Do we need intrinsics for floating-point classification functions?

Roman Lebedev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 21 23:57:22 PDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 7:17 AM Serge Pavlov <sepavloff at gmail.com> wrote:

> The review was done in https://reviews.llvm.org/D104854.
After which a revert was requested by *multiple* people,
said feedback was plainly ignored, and someone else had to do it.
https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#patch-reversion-policy

The dismissiveness (one-sidedness?) of replies, especially in
"[cfe-dev] Should isnan be optimized out in fast-math mode?"
also don't quite inspire optimism.
So forgive me if i'm erring on the safe side here.

> The design was discussed there, in https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2021-August/152257.html and in this thread. No alternatives were proposed and no disagreement was expressed.
>
> If somebody has concerns or objections, they can express them here or in  https://reviews.llvm.org/D104854 if they are about the implementation.
I do have concerns.
While i agree that some solution is needed for StrictFP,
I don't see consensus (aka, an explicit agreement by a third party
that the proposed design makes sense to them) on the RFC's,
and i do object to plainly recommitting any patches given all of this.

> Thanks,
> --Serge

Roman