[cfe-dev] [RFC] Clearing Clang AST before running backend optimizations/codegen to save memory

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 20 17:19:15 PDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM Arthur Eubanks <aeubanks at google.com> wrote:

> Looking at -Rpass (and various things like warnings for inability to
> vectorize when we specifically request it with #pragma clang loop
> vectorize(enable)), it does end up using objects from the AST to
> approximate the source location
> (BackendConsumer::getBestLocationFromDebugLoc()) if it can't find the
> source location from debug info. So this would affect users who don't build
> with debug info. Without debug info or the AST, clang will print a
> warning/remark without a source location. This is a tradeoff we'd have to
> decide on.

Ah, the AST lookup is only to retrieve the location of a function by name -
if we made a mapping/record of all those locations (shouldn't take up much
space, I'd think) then we could use that instead and not need the AST for
that callback?

> There's a similar issue with backend warnings but those don't even pass
> debug info to the diagnostic handler
> (clang/test/Misc/backend-stack-frame-diagnostics.cpp). Perhaps it could be
> extended to do that though.
>
> I haven't looked too much into the -disable-free stuff, but the reason it
> mitigates crashes is because if we clear AST objects we still have dangling
> references to them that we later attempt to clean up unless we
> -disable-free.

So disabling free is keeping more things alive - perhaps then the RAM
savings aren't as much as they could be if freeing was enabled? But yeah,
more to look into.