[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Should isnan be optimized out in fast-math mode?

Serge Pavlov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 16 12:03:43 PDT 2021

Yes, formally this is UB. But removal of `isnan` is also a standard
violation, because `isnan` has definite semantics, which is not preserved
in this case. We already are outside the standard behavior with the `isnan`
removal, so things cannot become worse.

Anyway this is a workaround for emulation only, for the (hypothetical)
case, when performance dropped noticeably due to execution of the checks.
It is now clear if such cases really exist.

Thanks,
--Serge