[cfe-dev] support __attribute__((weak)) for non-primitive types

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 3 15:25:27 PDT 2021

On Fri, 3 Sept 2021 at 13:57, Andrii Nakryiko via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 8/30/21 8:43 AM, Y Song wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 4:24 AM Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com>
> wrote:

> definitions.

> https://facebookmicrosites.github.io/bpf/blog/2020/02/19/bpf-portability-and-co-re.html
> )
> same
> record

> helper
> this

> something like
> apply_to = record)

> copying

> For example,
> incompatible
> tries to
> builds

> depends on
> >>>>>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/include/linux/sched.h#L661-L1418
> not

> not have

> any)

> quickly
> >> So the non-weak types are expected to be seen first, so you'll pick
> >> the non-weak type every time unless the type only exists in weak form?
> >> That seems reasonable.
>
> I'm sorry I'm a bit late to discussion, been out on vacation. But I'm
> super interested in this feature and the one who added vmlinux.h to BPF
> land, so wanted to provide some feedback as well.
>

> Unless it complicates the implementation extremely, I hope we don't have
> to specify that non-weak type had to be first (or last, or any defined
> order). It would add unnecessary complexity and surprise for users.

I think we will very likely need to require that a non-weak definition of
the type is seen before any weak definition. Otherwise we risk the
possibility that the weak definition of the type is used in some way before
we see the "real" definition, which will lead to serious problems. For
example, the compiler could compute the struct's layout based on the first
(weak) definition, then later find that it should discard that definition,
but it might be too late: we might have already made hard-to-undo decisions
based on that information. Discarding a weak definition when we've already
seen a non-weak one doesn't have this kind of problem.

If that makes the use of a compiler-based approach untenable for your use
case, you should look hard for other alternatives. Asking us to support
replacing the definition of a type after the fact would be imposing a very
high cost on us.

Think about weak symbols as an analogy. If linker demanded that non-weak