[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Do we need intrinsics for floating-point classification functions?

Serge Pavlov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 2 11:34:35 PDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:58 AM Sanjay Patel <spatel at rotateright.com> wrote:

> Thank you for restarting this proposal. It's a bit more work, but let's
> make sure we have a good design, so we don't miss any details.
>
> What optimizations/analysis does this intrinsic enable **in IR** in
> strict-FP mode?
> If it is only constant folding, we don't need to add an intrinsic. We fold
> lots of math library calls with no corresponding LLVM intrinsic under
> llvm::ConstantFoldCall().
> We also do transforms based on operands/uses of library calls in
> SimplifyLibCalls.

Optimization is not the motivation for this intrinsic. If FP exceptions are
ignored, unordered comparison can be used to implement `isnan`. If not, we
need to make the test without affecting FP exceptions. Without this
intrinsic there is no way to represent such a test.

> So I'm really asking: why do we translate isnan() in clang into something
> else in the first place? The backend can lower that call into whatever
> suits the target without involving LLVM IR.

It must be a function, known to the backend without
declarations/definitions, that is an intrinsic.