[cfe-dev] [RFC] A dataflow analysis framework for Clang AST

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 12 14:34:13 PDT 2021

Sounds like the mail didn't hit the mailing list due to size
restriction. I'm quoting in plain text now to make sure it definitely
hits the list in some form.

Like Gabor already said, It's amazing that this is happening. I
completely agree with your goals and I think we've discussed a lot of
this offline earlier. The amount of existing flow-sensitive warnings may
be low but it's steadily growing, Valeriy's -Wcompletion-handler being
one of the notable latest additions - a backwards analysis over finite
state lattice with a sophisticated system of notes attached to the
warning to explain what's happening (generalizing over the latter may
possibly be a goal for your framework as well).

Aside from the ability to cover *the other 50% of warnings* compared to
what the static analyzer already covers (may-problems vs. must-problems
aka all-paths problems), another strong benefit of flow sensitive
warnings is their performance which allows us to use them as compiler
warnings (as opposed to separate tools like clang-tidy or static
analyzer). This in turn delivers the warning to every user of the
compiler which increases the user coverage dramatically. This
consideration may even apply to may-problems in which the static
analyzer already excels technically.

I'm also very curious about your SAT solver implementation; I have a
recent hobby of plugging various solvers into the static analyzer (cf.
https://reviews.llvm.org/D110125) because it obviously needs some -
arguably as much as your endeavor.