[cfe-dev] [RFC] New attribute `annotate_type`

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 12 13:15:54 PDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 7:49 AM Martin Brænne <mboehme at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 at 18:54, Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Martin Brænne via cfe-dev
>> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to propose a new attribute `annotate_type` that would be analogous to the existing `annotate` attribute but for use on types. As for `annotate`, the typical use case would be to add annotations to be used by static analysis tools.
>> >
>> > I have a draft patch implementing this attribute (https://reviews.llvm.org/D111548), but before it's reviewed I wanted to solicit some feedback more broadly on whether people feel this makes sense.
>>
>> Thanks for the proposal! One question I have is whether we need an
>> additional attribute for this instead of reworking [[clang::annotate]]
>> so that it applies to either a type or a declaration. Is a separate
>> attribute necessary because there may be unfortunate problems with
>> using __attribute__((annotate)) as the spelling?
>

> Yes, that's exactly the problem. Today, the GNU spelling can be applied both before and after the type name:
>
>   __attribute__((annotate("foo"))) int i1;
>   int __attribute__((annotate("foo"))) i2;
>
> We would need to reinterpret the second variant to refer (or "appertain") to the decl-specifier-seq, not to the declaration (which is, IIUC, what the C++ standard would prescribe if this was a C++ attribute). But as it's possible that this variant is already being used "in the wild" with the intent that it should refer to the declaration, I think this isn't something we can change.

Agreed, thanks for the confirmation that this was the reason why we
need a second attribute.

> Hence, the practical solution seems to be to introduce a separate attribute for types, for which it is then unambiguous what it should apply to.

Another possible solution would be to not support
__attribute__((annotate)) as a type attribute (e.g., you can use
[[clang::annotate]] as a declaration or a type attribute, but we would
restrict __attribute__((annotate)) to only ever be a declaration
attribute.).

> As a side note, IIUC, Clang currently more generally lumps GNU attributes that occur in these two positions together, right? I'm looking at Parser::ParseSimpleDeclaration(), specifically this line:
>
> DS.takeAttributesFrom(Attrs);
>
> For C++ attributes, I believe this would not be correct, but that's not (currently) a concern because AFAICT Clang currently doesn't allow C++ attributes to occur after a decl-specifier-seq at all (because, I presume, Clang doesn't yet support any C++ attributes that can occur in this position).

We currently don't support any attributes that appertain to the
declaration specifiers (in any spelling mode). GNU attributes will
"slide" to the type or the declaration based on the name of the
attribute when doing semantic processing for them (see the
moveAttrFromListToList() calls in SemaType.cpp for some examples of
this).

> This also means that if we want to use the proposed `annotate_type` attribute in this position, we have to use the GNU spelling.

I don't think that's correct. We certainly support type attributes
using a C++ spelling already.

> This is an unfortunate niggle, but teaching Clang to correctly process C++ attributes in this position seems like a non-trivial undertaking because it would require us to treat GNU spellings and C++ spellings differently in Parser::ParseSimpleDeclaration(), which seems like it would be a bit of a headache.

I don't think we'll have to go down that route, hopefully.

>> What kind of type semantic impacts does this attribute have on the
>> type identity for things like overloading, name mangling, type
>> conversion, etc?
>
> Good point. The intent is that the attribute should have no impact. Anything else would be pretty problematic from a portability point of view because other compilers will simply ignore the attribute -- so if it had an effect on the type system in Clang, that could cause other compilers to generate different code.

Vendor-specific attributes are inherently not portable or safe to
ignore. Generally speaking, if a type attribute has no type semantics,
it probably shouldn't be a type attribute. However, because this
attribute doesn't really have any semantics beyond "keep this
information associated with the type", it's a bit more complex.
Consider:

void func(int i);
void func(int [[clang::annotate("hoo boy")]] i);

I can see an argument that this is not a valid overload set because
both functions accept an integer. However:

void func(int i) [[clang::annotate("ABI=v1")]];
void func(int i) [[clang::annotate("ABI=v2")]];

I can see an argument that this is a valid overload set because
something else (the linker, whatever) is using that annotated
information to provide additional semantics beyond what the compiler
cares about.

>> Also, one problem here is -- [[clang::annotate]] isn't just used for
>> the static analyzer, it's also something that can be used by backend
>> tools (for example, when using attribute plugins).
>

> It's good that you bring this up because I'm actually also thinking about extending ParsedAttrInfo to handle type attributes (with a new handleTypeAttribute() function as an analog to handleDeclAttribute()). The proposed annotate_type attribute would then also be a natural candidate for an attribute that the new handleTypeAttribute() could add to types.

Oh, neat! Unifying type/stmt/decl attributes more is definitely a great goal.

> Is this the concern that you had here or were you thinking about something different?

Not really, it was more along the lines of lowering to LLVM IR (below)
so that the backend can also take advantage of this.

>> Do we need to
>> consider what information should be lowered to LLVM IR when this new
>> attribute appears on a type?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> My intent was that this should have no effect on code generation.
>
> Lowering annotations on declarations to LLVM IR has some obvious use cases, but for annotations on types it's less obvious how it would be useful to lower these to IR (and also less obvious to me how one would represent these). (Did you have anything specific in mind here?)

LLVM currently has the ability to describe some types (e.g.,
`%struct.X = type { i32 }`), so I was envisioning attaching this
attribute to the type (either as an LLVM attribute or metadata, I have
no idea what the distinction really is between them). LLVM currently
supports plugins as does Clang, and Clang's support for attributes in
plugins still strongly encourages users to use existing attributes to
surface functionality, so I can imagine users wanting to use the
annotate type attribute in the same way they already use the annotate
declaration attribute for this sort of collusion. However, I don't
think the codegen needs to happen up front -- mostly trying to
understand the shape of the design still.

~Aaron