[cfe-dev] How much profile data is enough for pgo?

Chris Bieneman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 8 11:49:44 PDT 2021

This also came up during the LLVM Distributor's conference talk on PGO (https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/llvm-distributors-conf-2021/issues/4 <https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/llvm-distributors-conf-2021/issues/4>).

Honestly I'm not actually convinced there's that much difference between carefully selected and curated collections of PGO data, and building a few "Hello World" type simple programs.

When I was working on Clang at Apple much of our instrumentation showed that process launch time was the most consistent place that we could optimize performance to get significant wins that were pretty universal.

When I added the in-tree multi-stage PGO that used LIT to run instrumented compiles, I found that just the one C++ hello-world program had something crazy like a 6% performance improvement. I'd love to see us add a few more source files into that system so that we could tune it a bit, but I never had the time.

-Chris