[cfe-dev] Feedback on feature (and status of lld linker script support?)

Christopher Friedt via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 29 20:03:03 PST 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 3:33 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> The section name hashing might be more of a clang feature than an LLVM one - if it's specifically for user-specified sections, etc. It could have some overlap with some symbol name length issues I've been considering for a while with somewhat similar strategies (hash, but then have a lookup table). I'm not sure who's going to be best to actually make the final call on whether what you're proposing is suitable for Clang/LLVM

Good to know that I'm not the only one thinking about this stuff,
hehe. I was planning on using it for user-specified sections, yea.

Hopefully this or something like it could be upstreamed. It's not
ideal because it's only hiding the root problem (the Mach-O spec) but
at least it's a short term solution.

Almost as critical, imho, is supporting GNU linker scripts with LLD
for macOS. What are the main limiting factors right now preventing
ld64.lld from borrowing most of the GNU linker script support from
ld.lld? Or is that a conversation for a different mailing list?

Thanks for your response,