[cfe-dev] [RFC] A C++ pseudo parser for tooling

Sam McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 6 08:50:11 PDT 2021

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021, 03:36 David Blaikie via cfe-dev, <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
wrote:

> Yeah, FWIW I'd +1 Andrew's comments here - it was sort of one major
> premise of clang being designed as a reusable library, that C++ is just too
> complicated to reimplement separately/repeatedly in various tools.

Yes. This is a good argument for reusable implementations, but I'm not sure
one is enough.
c.f. clang-format not using clang beyond the lexer, and the success
attributable to that.
Ideally we'd share an impl there, in practice its maturity as a product and
concrete design choices in its parser combine to make that hard.

For something's that's going to change significant code - how slow is a
> clang-based solution? What's the tradeoff being made?

Basically it's the difference between interactive latency and not.
For our internal clangd deployment (because those are the numbers I have)
90%ile is most of a minute to parse headers, and several minutes in the
build system to get ready (generated headers, flags...).
Secondarily, it's the difference between just using the tool and having to
"set it up". We do a lot of user support for clangd and I can tell you this
is a nontrivial concern. (For people who build with something that's not
recent mainline clang/gcc, target weird platforms, don't build on the
machine they edit on, use non-cmake build systems, ...)

You can see this tradeoff play out in the recent discussions about whether
an "east const" conversion belongs in clang-format vs clang-tidy: one of
the arguments for putting it in clang-format is it's the only way to make
it fast and easy enough that people want to use it.

>>> Haojian