[cfe-dev] Proposal: Adding a toplevel .mailmap file

Nico Weber via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 25 06:30:35 PDT 2021

Hi,

I commit LLVM patches using two different email addresses. This means my
changes show up as two lines in `git shortlog -nes <path>`, and `git log
--author=thakis` only finds some of my changes. I know several others also
use commit using different email addresses.

It's possible to add a file `.mailmap` to the root of the repo that tells
git to merge different email addresses to the same person for display
purposes (https://git-scm.com/docs/gitmailmap). For example, if that file
exists and contains

    Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> <nicolasweber at gmx.de>

then `git log --author=thakis` will show all my commits.

I currently have that locally. Should we have this file checked in?
Everybody who wanted could add their different aliases, and it gives people
control over what they want to show as their primary email address. Linux
for example has it checked in:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/.mailmap

Nico